Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What I Eat

I spend a lot of time each week planning meals for my husband and I. Throughout the week I add to our grocery list and then on Fridays I grocery shop as soon as I leave work. I visit both Walmart and Whole Foods to get the foods we need. I was shopping at Kroger but recently I have started focusing on saving money and Walmart really does save me money. During the week I typically eat one of two different breakfasts. Most mornings I have a Thomas' Multigrain English Muffin with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese, chia seeds, an egg, and a small wedge of Cracker Barrel white cheddar cheese. When I get tired of this I will have oatmeal with chia seeds, a couple of dark chocolate chips, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. For the eggs I eat in the mornings I bake the eggs in the shells:
I got this wonderful idea from never homemaker. I am awful at boiling eggs so this makes things so easy for me. I bake a dozen on Sunday and then keep them in the refrigerator all week to take out for breakfast or for a snack.

For lunch, I ALWAYS take a big salad and some form of protein. Recently I have been making barbecue chicken in the crockpot and then I take it with my salad each day. For my chicken I dice an onion and a green pepper. I place 1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast in the crockpot with the onion, pepper, and some jalapeno pepper slices from a jar. I then add one bottle of Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce and cook it on low for 5 hours. With one hour left to go I shred the chicken breast (it basically just falls apart).
For dinners I typically rotate through dinners that my husband enjoys and that I can make healthy for both of us. My husband doesn't like vegetables as much as I do and he has no trouble maintaining a healthy weight so he gets more carbs than I do for dinner. Often I make fish, chicken, or ground turkey and then a large salad for me and mashed potatoes or another starch for my husband. Recently we have both been loving stir fry. I cook broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots and then add diced chicken breast and a stir fry sauce. My husband eats this with jasmine rice and I eat it with a salad. Recently I tried a great recipe for Turkey Pesto Stuffed Shells from Lovely in Pink that I loved and my husband also enjoyed. I actually enjoyed these best for leftovers the next day! I had to modify them because my husband is allergic to tree nuts so I couldn't use pesto. I used a basil paste instead as a substitute and I thought it tasted great!
Although we typically stick to a standard plan each week, I do enjoy trying new recipes as long as they don't have too many ingredients:)

No comments:

Post a Comment